Wednesday, June 5, 2013

St. Michaels

A Maryland town on the Miles River just off of the Chesapeake Bay that boasts the name "The Town that fooled the British" in the War of 1812.  They have a big celebration planned for this summer because of that and it makes me wonder (obviously I didn't pay close enough attention in history class) why after winning our independence from England were we in a war with them again in 1812?  Maybe between reading materials here and the book "Chesapeake" by James Michener, which I am on page 496 of 1001 I will be able to figure that out.  Or maybe one of our nieces or nephews who are currently in school can enlighten us!   

Speaking of that book I'm reading there's a picture of a replica of Capt. John Smith's boat (below), which he sailed all over the Chesapeake Bay.  Based on our experiences with the wind on this bay I cannot imagine how he did that! 

Anyway, St. Michaels is a beautiful town full of rich history, lovely old homes on old brick sidewalks, colorful shops and many wonderful restaurants.  We're told that Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld both own homes here and I have kept my eyes peeled  but have not spotted either of them when I have been walking and shopping!














No comments:

Post a Comment